13 November 2008

maybe we can all learn something

the following text is from a mailing i received from The Advocates. replace 'libertarian' with just about anything, but 'democratic' or 'republican' for the sake of this post.
The Toughest Prospects: Family and Friends

by Michael Cloud

"I don't know why my dad supports single-payer health care," said my friend.
"He's smart. Well-educated. He was a business leader. He understands most of
our libertarian philosophy. But he insists that single-payer health care is the
only solution to our health care problems. What can I do to change his
mind?"

"How many times have you discussed health care policy with your father?" I
asked.

"Several times," she said.

"How many libertarian policy proposals, white papers, articles, and books on
the subject have you asked your father to read?" I asked.

"Maybe 10 or 20 articles and books," she answered.

"When did you start trying to convince your father about free market health
care?" I asked.

"Four or five years ago," she said.

"Is he any closer to agreement than he was when you started?" I asked.

"No, he hasn't budged an inch," she admitted.

"Since he's not buying, why are you trying to sell?" I asked.

"He's my dad. He's seen the evidence. He ought to agree," she said.

"But he doesn't agree. He's no closer to agreeing. He doesn't want to agree.
And, much as you love your father, he may never agree. If he never agrees, if
he never becomes a libertarian, will you still love him?" I asked.

"Of course. I love my father. I'll keep loving my father whether we agree or
disagree," she said.

"May I make a suggestion? Accept that your dad doesn't see health care the way
you do, that he doesn't want to change his mind, that he probably will never
change his mind. Drop the health care issue. And cherish the relationship you
have with him," I suggested.

Often, the toughest prospects for liberty are our family and friends.

If you've given your family and friends books and articles about
libertarianism, if you've have many discussions and arguments with them, and if
they are no closer to libertarianism... drop the subject.

If they're resisting, stop pushing.

If they're not buying, stop selling.

Maybe they don't like the ideas. Maybe you're pressuring them. Maybe you are
the wrong person to convince them.

Relax. Savor the moment. Enjoy your relationships.

Stop demanding that family or friends absolutely must agree with you.

Talk to people who are interested in libertarian ideas and solutions. Talk to
high-probability prospects.

Maybe someday your family and friends will come to libertarianism. Maybe they
won't.

Accept them as they are. Love them. And let them love you.

Love and let love.

It will set you free.
i think our inability to do just that is in large part the core of the state of american politics with all of its ranting and hatred.

2 comments:

  1. Also, be willing to listen to your spouse when they have arguments against whatever it is you're ranting about. They often have very good points to consider before you go jumping on someone else's bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete